Housing letters

The Local Medical Committee, which represents all NHS general practitioners in the local area, has made it clear to the relevant Local Authorities that GPs will supply confidential medical information directly to that Authority’s own Medical Officer when requested to do so by the Medical Officer, and provided that the patient or the patient’s legal representative has given their written consent. The Local Authority has the responsibility of obtaining this written consent and making a direct request to the GP to release the patient's confidential medical information. There is therefore no need for you or the patient (if you are the patient's legal representative) to provide the Local Authority with a medical report. If you do have any difficulty please do not hesitate to show this statement to the Local Authority Department or Housing Association you are dealing with.